Basic Boat Info
Engines / Speed
- Make: Yanmar
- Rope Cutter: true
- Drive Type: Direct
- Fuel: Diesel
- Year: 2013
- Engine Hours: 550
- Model: 3JH5-E
- Type: Inboard
- Engine Power: 39hp
- Propeller Type: 3 Blade, Bronze, Folding
BH Boat Sales Bucklers Hard Yacht Harbour
Beaulieu, Hampshire, GB, SO42 7XB
Tel:+44 (0)1590 616316
The Southerly 38 boasts an impressive sail plan; the tall fractional rig, combines a large mainsail and a self tacking furling jib for powerful windward performance.
The spacious cockpit offers comfortable seating around both helm stations with room for the Raymarine instrumentation. The mainsheet track is located on the pilot house coachroof with control lines fed back to both helmsman’s stations, allowing the yacht to be easily managed. The steering is direct with minimum backlash with semi-balanced twin rudders to give instantly responsive steering and precise directional stability. The forward part of the cockpit is wide with generous seating for socialising. A teak cockpit table with fold down leaves offers dinette facilities, whilst also providing a foot brace and hand rail, when the yacht is heeled.
The Southerly 38 features the highly developed Swing Keel which gives the freedom and versatility to sail in almost any waters. With the keel lowered, the variable draught of 8’6’’ (2.59m) makes for fast, serious blue water cruising. At the ‘touch of a button’ the keel can be raised to give a shallow draught of just 2’8’’ (0.82m) - perfect for sailing in shallow water.
Once you step inside, you enter a beautiful interior with quality joinery and luxury but practical soft materials.. There is well appointed accommodation with good headroom throughout. The lower saloon seating area provides a focal point for guests, permitting comfortable dining. The open galley is well equipped and enjoys good views. The chart table has good visibility and is in easy communication with the cockpit. The aft cabin is a particular feature on a yacht of this size, and boasts a large centreline double berth with seating to each side, plenty of stowage and ensuite facilities. The forward cabin has good headroom with twin v berths that can convert to a double berth with ensuite facilities.
- Ivory White gel coat to hull and deck
- Crimson Red & Midnight Blue boot top
- Midnight Blue style lines
- Northshore’s patented Nordseal antiosmosis system
- Clear gel coat below the waterline
- Copper coating to hull and keel
- Teak laid deck
- Cleats forward and aft raised
- Spring cleats amidships with stainless steel chafe guard
- Extended stainless steel stemhead fitting with twin bow roller
- GRP foredeck anchor locker with Quick Hector 1500w electric anchor windlass and hand held control
- Mooring bollard
- Stainless steel pulpit incorporating navigation light bracket
- Stainless steel stanchions and guardwires with gates port and starboard
- Stainless steel pushpit incorporating stern gate, navigation light bracket and ensign socket
- Fuel and water deck fillers
- Self tacking foresail track with sheet to cockpit
- Turning blocks to take reefing lines
- Mainsheet track with control lines
- Four rope clutches to port and five to starboard, for running rigging
- One Lewmar 46AEST powered halyard winch ( in lieu of standard manual one )
- One Lewmar 46ST winches
- Stainless steel grab handles on either side of coachroof with integral mainsheet lead
- Stainless steel removable bowsprit for gennaker
- Stainless steel deck attachments and masthead block for gennaker
- Sprayhood with hide covered grab bar
- 16kg Bruce anchor
- 40 metres of chain
- 10 metres of warp
- Fortress FX16 aluminium folding Kedge anchor complete with 5m of 8mm chain and 25m of anchorplait nylon warp.
- Three fire extinguishers
- One fire blanket
- Pads on transom for Weaver snap davits ( davits not fitted )
- 3D tender including pump, seat and oars
- Suzuki 2.5hp outboard with bespoke all weather cover
- Aft cockpit
- Self draining
- Laid teak to cockpit seats
- Laid teak to cockpit sole
- Cockpit table with folding leaves, stowage and handrail
- Good access aft for boarding through transom door
- Telescopic stern boarding ladder
- Cockpit shower, hot and cold water
- Cockpit locker to port and starboard
- Gas bottle storage in cockpit locker to starboard
- Fender stowage in cockpit locker to port
- Universal liferaft stowage cradle fitted to pulpit with Ocean Safety ' Ocean Standard ' 4 man liferaft
- Perspex main hatch with washboard
- Instrument panels above hatchway
- Two winch handle pockets
- Two Lewmar 46ST winches for mainsheet
- Two safety harness eyes
- 2 cabin layout with upgraded upholstery to saloon and cabins.
- Interior joinery Mahogany ( Crown Cut Sapele )
- Full length 'L shaped' single settee to port and full length single settee to starboard
- Folding leaf table
- Four lockers forward
- Shelves outboard
- Stowage under seating
- Large shelved locker forward
- One large two small opening hatches
- Overhead lights
- Bespoke blinds fitted to main saloon windows and hatches
- One large and one small stainless steel sinks
- Corian type worktop, Pebble Swan
- Pressurised hot and cold water
- Stainless steel grab rail
- Top loading refrigerated ice box (75 litres)
- Fully gimballed gas cooker with three burners, grill and oven (fail-safe devices on all burners)
- Gas cut off tap
- Ample storage for crockery and cutlery
- Two opening hatches
- Overhead light
- 12 volt and 240v systems - see Systems paragraph
- Isolating switches
- Upgraded LED cabin lighting throughout
- Reading lights over bunks
- Chart light over navigation table
- Full navigation light system incorporating bow lights, stern light,masthead tri-colour light with all round white anchor light, deck flood light and steaming light
- Circuit breakers on main panel
Yanmar 3JH5-E 39hp (29kw) 3 cylinder, fresh water cooled, diesel engine - 550 hour, last serviced October 2020.
- Reduction/reverse gear, 2.6:1
- 80 amp alternator
- Bronze stern tube with water lubricated stern gland
- Stainless steel propeller shaft with ropecutter
- Featherstream 3 bladed folding propeller
- Substantial skeg fitted on centreline to protect propeller and rudders when yacht is dried out
- Non metallic fuel tank - capacity 246 litres/54 gallons with sediment trap and line filter
- 12 volt electric ventilator
- Sound deadening to engine box
- Hinge up panels at either end of engine box for access
- Engine box can be completely removed for maintenance
- Selden twin spreader mast. 3 factory fitted climbing steps on mast.
- Upgrade from standard sails to North sails.
- Fully-battened North dacron mainsail with Selden MDS roller bearing cars.
- Fully battened North self-tacking furling headsail with white UV protection strip.
- Stac Pac mainsail cover and Lazy Jacks.
- Both sails are in excellent condition having been laundered, checked, repaired and stored by North Sails each winter. Last laundered in November 2020, stored for the winter and refitted in March 2021.
- Stainless steel removable bowsprit for gennaker.
- Full rig check April 2021. Main halyard, topping lift, jib sheets and lazy jacks replaced at that time.
- Complete covers for both helm consoles and wheels
- Cover for cockpit table
- Winter cover for cockpuit
- Sun shade for cockpit
- Sprayhood with built-in grab rail
Raymarine Radar and Chart Plotter including 18" scanner, Raystar 130 GPS and Raymarine e95 Hybrid Touch display. ( Navionics card to be retained by owner )
2 x Raymarine i70 depth, speed, log, wind instruments
Raymarine autopilot, p70 display at port pedestal, SPX10 Smart pilot with Rate Gyro
Raymarine AIS 650 Class B Transceiver
Icom 423 VHF with DSC
Sea-me radar reflector
Having developed the specification of the vessel and owned her from new, we have enjoyed several seasons of sailing on Eclipse but family commitments and changing priorities have led us to the reluctant decision to sell our lovely yacht.
Eclipse is a spacious yacht offering excellent accommodation. She is easy to sail with a self-tacking headsail and all lines controlled from the cockpit. The ' push button ' lifting keel is a great benefit both in terms of access to tidal harbours and the ability to take the ground when anchored or moored. Eclispe sails extremely well and she has a solid feel which instills confidence in her ability to handle the prevailing conditions.
We have enjoyed many trips along the south coast and in the Solent as well as several Channel crossings to France and the Channel Islands. Eclipse takes Channel crossings in her stride.
Lewmar 5 kW bow thruster and 6kw stern thruster fitted with joystick controls at steering pedestal
Hot air heating with outlets to saloon and both cabins
240v ring main with double sockets in galley, saloon and aft cabin. Shorepower cable and socket. 1Kw immersion heater fitted in calorifier.
Mastervolt Mass Cobi 12/1200w 60A inverter/charger.
Stainless steel 240v microwave fitted within locker in galley.
Upgraded battery capacity and number to 4 AGM batteries total ( 345Ah service / 115 Ah engine ). All renewed in March 2020.
Radio/CD/MP3 stereo system with waterproof cockpit speakers
18" LED Flat Screen TV with built-in Freeview and DVD player. Glomex antenna at mast head.
Featherstream 3 bladed folding prop with Ambassador rope cutter on the shaft.
Deck shower with hot and cold watere fitted on transom.
75 litre top loading refrigerated ice box.
BH Boat Sales offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.